Hi, I’m Kimberly. Welcome to Red Shutters!
I’m a mom of two who lives in the Boston area. On this site, I write about work-life dilemmas, parenting, family, life in the fourth decade, and things I find inspiring and interesting. Sometimes I even do crafts and bake or cook. But, most of all, Red Shutters is a place where I explore the themes of life: success, passion, fulfillment, and love.
Also on Red Shutters, you’ll read about my experience with breast cancer. I was diagnosed in December 2015 and went through treatment during the months that followed. You can read these posts here.
A little about me:
- I hate being late, but with two kids (a nine-year-old son, R, and a seven-year-old daughter, G), I don’t control the clock anymore.
- I met my husband online, which makes me forever grateful to the founders of the Internet—and Match.com.
- I love books, yoga, a hot shower, and deep periwinkle hydragenas (and yes, if by now, you’re thinking this page sounds a bit like a Match.com profile, I agree).
- I love to travel, and I’m two continents away from my goal of visiting all seven.
- I once slept overnight on the Great Wall of China.
- I learned to drive stick shift on a double decker bus at Walt Disney World.
- My surefire stress management tool is to read a design magazine while watching “The Great British Bake-off.”
In my life outside of Red Shutters, I’ve worked for more than twenty years in the nonprofit field. I’m currently taking a sabbatical to figure out the next step in my career, and the time away from the office has been educational in many ways.
My ongoing (or, never-ending?) challenge is juggling. And, I mean juggling (not balancing as I gave up on balance a long time ago, though this post about work-life balance has me rethinking my terminology) family, marriage career, friends, and life.
You’ll meet other people on Red Shutters, including my family:
- My husband, the best cook around, who can build and fix anything and who makes me laugh, cheers me on, and makes me very grateful I said yes to a second date.
- R, my nine-year-old son, who loves Legos, books, and the Red Sox, and whose primary ambition is to talk me into a trip to Legoland.
- G, my seven-year-old daughter, who has a big personality, the best hugs, and way too many stuffed animals.
Oh, and the name of this blog? From time to time, I’m asked why this blog is called Red Shutters. It’s rather simple, actually. When I started writing, we lived in a house with red shutters, and I wanted a name that spoke to a place for me, a place that explained who I was. Not my name, mind you—something different but something that mattered to me. Many moons later, we live in another house—without shutters!—but the name still resonates.
Other places you can find my writing:
- The Boston Globe, March 19, 2017
- My First Mother’s Day Without Her, May 2, 2016
- When is it Okay for Kids to Just Quit?, April 21, 2016
- 6 Tips for Sharing Bad News With Your Kids, April 14, 2016
- When Did Valentine’s Day Become a Kid Thing?, February 9, 2016
- 9 Ways to Celebrate Leap Day, February 8, 2016
- My Kids Know I’m Santa, and I’m Okay With That, December 18, 2015
- Selling My Kids on the Switch Witch for Halloween, October 19, 2015
- What’s a ‘Sleepunder’? (You’ll Be So Glad When You Find Out!), October 5, 2015
- Should You Join the PTA? The Answer Might Surprise You, August 27, 2015
- 11 Sweet and Fun Back to School Family Traditions to Start Now, August 20, 2015
- Back-to-School: Time to Make the Lunches (oh.yay), August 10, 2015
- One Busy Mom’s Absolute Never-Fail Sanity-Saving Trick: Reading Books, August 6, 2015
- Tackling the Big Questions of Tiny Humans at Bedtime, August 4, 2015
- 8 TV Shows to Binge-Watch While on Late Night Baby Duty (Or, Right Now), June 29, 2015
- Stonyfield Blog: The Yogurt Dish, 2015
- Wayfair’s Idea Lounge
- Red Letter Reads, 2012-2013
- Zerve, July 3, 2013
- Boston.com Featured Parent Blogger, May 2013
I’d love to hear from you. You can…
- Email me at redshuttersblog (at) gmail (dot) com.
- Follow me on Twitter (@redshutters).
- Follow me on Instagram (@redshutters).
- Follow me on Pinterest (@redshutters).
- Become my fan on Facebook.
Thanks for reading!