What’s on your to do list this week?
Mine looks a little like this:
- Take last dose of typhoid vaccine.
- Finish book club book (we’re reading “The Dress Lodger”).
- Add reminder to take malaria prophylaxis to calendar.
- Purchase 230 Volts/50 Hz electrical adapter.
- Backup phone.
- Purchase tickets for Halloween carnival at kids’ school.
- Backup laptop.
- Charge camera.
- Practice PowerPoint presentation.
- Make sure international calling plan is set up correctly.
- Update family calendar for the next three weeks.
- Clean out email.
- Buy new black pants.
Was it the mention of typhoid and malaria that tipped you off? If so, perhaps you guessed—correctly, I might add!—that I’m soon to be off on a trip. A BIG TRIP.
This time next week, I’ll be on the plane to India, traveling more than 7,600 miles from home.
My trip will be a total of 10 days, including travel time. I’ll be in Mumbai and Delhi, with, hopefully, a side trip to the Taj Mahal. I’m going for work, speaking at a conference and meeting with colleagues about possible collaborations.
I’ve traveled a fair bit, but I have never been to India. I am VERY excited, as it’s always been on my travel wish list. I’m also a little apprehensive, though: this trip will be the longest I’ll have been separated from my husband and kids. That will be hard. But the trip is a great opportunity for me to stretch out of my professional comfort zone, so off I’m going.
Verizon Wireless tells me my phone will work in India, so look for updates via social media, and, if I am lucky, a blog post here and there. I’m starting a hashtag for the trip, #redshuttersinindia. Keep an eye out for me!